2 oz (1/8 lb) 56.75 g = $ 7.96 + HST $1.73 = $ 9 - NEW!!
4 oz (1/4 lb) 113.4 g = $13.27 + HST $1.73 = $15
8 oz (1/2 lb) 226.8 g = $23.89 + HST $3.11 = $27
16 oz (1 lb) 453.6 g = $44.25 + HST $5.75 = $50
Discounts available on bulk purchases:
5 items = 5% discount
10 items = 10% discount
15 items = 15% discount
WHOLESALE PRICES ARE AVAILABLE TO VENDORS :
You can purchase up to 3 kg in total at a time of any size packages combined. You cannot buy in bulk and repackage yourself unless you have federal and provincial manufacturing licences because each package legally sold must carry the federal excise stamp. Our Tobacco must be sold for ceremonial purposes only (per the label) to individuals 19 years of age and older, therefore you must be prepared to keep it in an area that is relatively secure. (i.e. under a glass case, on a shelf out of reach, etc.) Email Karen@turtlelodgetradingpost.ca for details and pricing.
WE CANNOT SELL TOBACCO ONLINE:
PayPal and internet regulations currently prevent us from selling Tobacco online. Tobacco orders must be processed as follows:
1. To expedite your order we ask that you please email email@example.com and have the following information ready. Priority will go to emailed orders with complete information on hand:
2. If you have never purchased Tobacco from us please read this entire information page about our Tobacco. This page should answer most of your questions and help you prepare for receiving your order.
3. Check the prices and product sizes above and let us know the EXACT SIZE AND QUANTITIES that you wish to order.
4. Let us know if you want it shipped, will be picking it up (by appointment only), or would like it brought to Kumik or Wabano during our next visit. (See our Events tab for the schedule.) Please note that Turtle on the Road discounts only apply on PREPAID orders. If you require shipping, note that shipping cost is extra and Tobacco must be sent via Canpar. Please send us your full shipping address including postal code so that we can calculate the cost.
5. Payment. Please let us know how you plan to pay. Note that we prefer cash or e-transfer whenever possible to avoid costly credit card fees and help us keep our prices down. However, if you must pay by credit card, please indicate the most convenient time to reach you by phone so that we can collect and process your credit card information. NOTE THAT WE DO NOT KEEP CREDIT CARD INFORMATION ON FILE, AND DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO CARD INFO USED THROUGH THE SHOPPING CART. You will have to provide us with your card information again over the phone.
6. You must be 19 years or older to purchase Tobacco, and our Tobacco is intended for ceremonial purchases only. If you have never ordered from us before and we don't know who you are, you must either be prepared to show us ID, or you must be a purchasing agent for an organization authorised to purchase Tobacco for ceremonial use, OR have an endorsement by an elder or organization who already purchases from us. If you do not have an endorsement, please fax (613-701-0274) OR attach a black and white scan of your ID to the email which shows that you are over 19 years, along with a statement that you will be using this Tobacco for ceremonial purposes. NOTE that your ID must have the same address as the shipping address.
7. Once we have all the above information, we will reply by email with a copy of your invoice and the amount due. Shipments and confirmation notices will be sent out once payment is collected.
8. You may add any other products to your Tobacco order. Visit our website then let us knwo the exact items, sizes and quantities. OR you can order and pay for all your other items separately through the shopping cart on the website. Then in the note section let us know that you wish to add these items to your Tobacco order. Select "pick up" as the delivery option because shipping will have to be calculated manually in order to add the extra weight and volume of the Tobacco. This cost will be added to your Tobacco order. NOTE THAT WE DO NOT KEEP CREDIT CARD INFORMATION ON FILE, AND DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO CARD INFO USED THROUGH THE SHOPPING CART. You will have to provide us with your card information again over the phone.
TOBACCO CAN ONLY BE SHIPPED VIA CANPAR:
While we generally ship via Canada Post, only carriers who have a valid Tobacco transporter certification, such as Canpar, can legally ship tobacco. When you call to place your order, we will provide you with a quote for Canpar shipping. NOTE: Canpar charges an extra $5 for residential delivery.
PICKUP & DELIVERY:
We have regular deliveries set up at convenient predefinied locations to save you shipping costs. Check out our events page for more details on times and locations. You can also arrange pick up BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
We cannot sell in excess of 3 kg/6.6 lbs of Tobacco to anyone without a valid Ontario Tobacco Dealer's permit.
Our Tobacco is purchased from Canadian certified organic farmers. Turtle Lodge Trading Post is in the process of applying for Organic certification. This is a lengthy process which may take a year or two. Meanwhile, we can state which of our products are organic, but we cannot carry the Canadian Certified organic logo on our labels until the organic certification is in place.
CURRENTLY SOLD IN ONTARIO ONLY:
Current legislation and licencing seriously limits what we are able to do. We can ship Tobacco to any Ontario address you provide, or you can arrange to pick it up. Note, we make monthly deliveries to some convenient locations in Ottawa. Check out our News and Events tab for more information. Although we cannot currently sell outside of Ontario, we are already working on upgrading our licencing to include Quebec, and other provinces.
OUR TOBACCO IS FOR CEREMONIAL PURPOSES ONLY
Turtle Lodge Trading Post has been in business for ten years but only began carrying whole leaf organic Tobacco a couple of years ago. This decision was not taken lightly. Our business began because of a real and growing need for high quality ceremonial medicines, particularly in the cities where many folks simply don't have the means to grow or harvest their own. For many years we chose not to resell Tobacco because of our personal spiritual beliefs in the sacredness of this medicine. But as we observed the continued use of chemical ladened commercial shredded Tobacco in ceremony, we realized that something needed to be done. We found a source for whole leaf certified organic Tobacco grown in Ontario by a company who sells it primarily for commercial use. This company is very respectful of our ways. While we recognize that this is not traditionally grown, (see licencing issues below) this high grade certified organic Tobacco is currently the best that we can legally provide.
You will be asked your purpose for purchasing this product. We reserve the right to refuse to sell our products to anyone for any reason, particularly if you are not using it for ceremonial purposes.
Due to government regulations, we are required to have several levels of permits in order to resell Tobacco, and we are only able to purchase Tobacco from growers who also have the required permits. There are currently no Aboriginal Tobacco growers with the requisite permits in Canada. Note: If you are an Aboriginal grower of traditional Tobacco and would like to aquire the necessary permits in order to sell your product please read the following information:
Obtaining the licencing is a lengthy process but not terribly difficult. Since we only sell whole leaf for ceremonial use, this information pertains only to raw whole leaf Tobacco. If you choose to go further in terms of processing (i.e. breaking the whole leaf into parts, or further still, producing cigarettes) then be aware that involves a much deeper level of licencing and reporting which you will have to research on your own.
Your Tobacco will keep exactly as it is for many months, even years, under the right conditions. Note that as it ages, it will become drier, more brittle. (Note: For Tobacco offerings, this is great, but for use in the sacred pipe very dry Tobacco can be a bit harsh.) As with all dried herbs, keep it in a dark, dry place at room temperature. Take care to handle it either with gloves or with very dry hands. Preferably take it out of the plastic bag and store it in a glass or earthenware jug. For optimal storage, allow the Tobacco to dry out completely before bottling it.
Unlike most herbs, Tobacco is generally dried in such a way as to keep in a bit of the moisture. If you prefer it to crumble easier, then dry it further by simply leaving the bag open to air for a while. You can also use a food dehydrator or just spread it out it out on some cardboard or in an airy dry place until it feels crispy. It doesn't take long. When it's ready, hold the stem in one hand and strip the leaf with the other by clasping the base of the leaf firmly and pulling it up from the stem.
An amazing thing about whole leaf Tobacco is that you can re-hydrate it if you wish. This works best on leaves that are not too brittle. Simply mist the leaf with water, pat with a paper towel so its not too wet, wait, and repeat if necessary until it has reached the desired pliability. It's amazing how the Tobacco leafs absorbs water and becomes completely pliable again. So WHY would you want to do this? We have several customers who use Tobacco leaves for making sacred items and prayer fetishes. Once the Tobacco is hydrated, it can be shaped into all kinds of things: little canoes, flowers, animals, etc. which can then be incorporated into projects.
Freezing Tobacco has the advantage of holding whatever moisture is in it so it will generally come out of the freezer in the same condition it went in. Just take care that you store it properly after it comes out of the freezer as it may become moldy then if there is too much moisture. Freezing seems to increase the amount of moisture, or maybe how the moisture is distributed, a bit so just be aware of that.
Are green or white spots on my tobacco mold?
White spots on the leaves are a natural discoloration that is common with Virginia Flu cured Tobacco leaves. The spots are a concentration of the plants sugar and occur when the leaf is fully mature. In many growing circles, these spots are a farmer's clear sign that the Tobacco is ripe and ready to be picked. Some farmers will pick the leaves before the spots occur for aesthetic purposes, but others wait so that the leaf reaches its potential maturity.
Green spots on leaves are a natural discoloration that occurs during the curing process (Unless it is fuzzy and growing ON the leaf, which is more rare). This usually happens when there isn’t enough ample air flow to the leaves. This can be because the leaf was folded in on itself, or because it was in the middle of the bale. Discolorations are most common with cigarette Tobacco types, but you will occasionally find them on other Tobacco as well.
Our Tobacco is of very high grade and we have rarely seen any mold spots anywhere. Sugar concentrations can sometimes be mistaken for mold, but mold does occur from time-to-time. But don't be alarmed if you do find a tiny bit of mold on the stems. We are told this is normal, and is usually is contained to ONLY being on the main stem, but can also be on the leaf itself from time to time. Unless excessive, it can simply be washed off or can be cut around and discarded.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you have any questions about our Tobacco products, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Some links to more information about the use of ceremonial Tobacco: